To be a dynamic regulatory agency acting as a catalyst for positive change and innovation for the delivery of quality university education in Nigeria.
To ensure the orderly development of a well coordinated and productive university system that will guarantee quality and relevant education for national development and global competitiveness.
The Goals of the National Universities Commission are:
- Attainment of stable and crisis-free University System.
- To work with Nigerian Universities to achieve full accreditation status for at least 80% of the academic programmes.
- To initiate and promote proficiency in the use of ICT for service delivery within the Commission and the Nigerian University System.
- Upgrade and maintain physical facilities in the Nigerian University System for delivery of quality university education.
- To match university graduate output with national manpower needs.
- To foster partnership between the Nigerian University System and the private sector.
The Functions of the Commission are:
- To advise the President and State Governors, through the Minister, on the creation of new universities and other degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria;
- To prepare, after consultation with the State Governments, the universities, the national manpower Board and such other bodies as it considers appropriate, periodic master plans for the balanced and co-coordinated development of all universities in Nigeria;
To lay down Minimum Academic Standards in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and to accredit their degrees and other academic awards;
- To ensure that quality is maintained within the academic programmes of the Nigerian University System;
- To make such other investigations relating to higher education as the Commission may consider necessary in the national interest;
- To inquire into and advise the Federal Government on the financial needs, both recurrent and capital, of university education in Nigeria and, in particular, to investigate and study the financial needs of university research and to ensure that adequate provision is made for this in the universities;
- To take into account, in advising the Federal and State Governments on university finances, such grants as may be made to the Universities by the Federal and State Governments, private proprietors and by persons and institutions in and outside Nigeria;
- To undertake periodic reviews of the terms and conditions of service of personnel engaged in the universities and to make recommendations thereon to the Federal Government where appropriate;
- To recommend to the Visitor of a university that a visitation be made to such university as and when it considers it necessary;
- To act as the agency for channeling all external aid to the universities in Nigeria;
- To receive block grants from the Federal Government and allocate them to Federal Universities in accordance with such formula as may be laid down by the National Council of Ministers.
Following the retirement of the Director, Directorate of Open Distance and E-learning from the service of the NUC last March, the Executive Secretary, has approved the appointment of Engineer Kayode Odedina as Ag. Director for a period of six months in the first instance.read more
The Federal Government has said that there was no plan to reopen schools now “as it is not yet safe to do so.” The HMSE Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, said this in Abuja last week during the daily briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVlD-19.read more
The Executive Secretary, Prof. Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, recently received the Commandant, Air Force Institute of Technology, Kaduna, Air Vice Marshal A.A. Olabisi in his office.read more
The Executive Secretary of the NUC wishes to notify the university community and the public that as part of efforts aimed at containing and preventing the spread of the Corona Virus (COVID-19) throughout the country, all universities are to close down for a period of one (1) month commencing from Monday 23rd March 2020.read more
Stakeholders in the World Bank-sponsored result-based African Centres of Excellence project after reviewing the progress of the ACE I, during the Regional Workshop held recently in Abujaread more
The Executive Secretary, NUC, Prof. Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, has implored Nigerian Universities to imbibe a harmonized system of quality data documentation and dissemination for public referencing, research and planning in the Nigerian University System (NUS).read more
The Chairman, House Committee on Tertiary Education and Services, Honourable Aminu Suleiman, has described as an anomaly that some of the newly established Federal Universities are operating without an enabling Act of the National Assembly.read more
President Muhammadu Buhari GCFR has said that with global economies becoming profoundly knowledge-driven, Nigerian Universities need to be more research oriented, ICT-based and compliant.read more
President Muhammadu Buhari has said universities must maintain a certain level of stability with uninterrupted academic activities, if the overall objectives of attaining national developments were to be achieved.read more