The Goals of the National Universities Commission are:
- Attainment of stable and crisis-free University System.
- To work with Nigerian Universities to achieve full accreditation status for at least 80% of the academic programmes.
- To initiate and promote proficiency in the use of ICT for service delivery within the Commission and the Nigerian University System.
- Upgrade and maintain physical facilities in the Nigerian University System for delivery of quality university education.
- To match university graduate output with national manpower needs.
- To foster partnership between the Nigerian University System and the private sector.
The Functions of the Commission are:
- To advise the President and State Governors, through the Minister, on the creation of new universities and other degree-awarding institutions in Nigeria;
- To prepare, after consultation with the State Governments, the universities, the national manpower Board and such other bodies as it considers appropriate, periodic master plans for the balanced and co-coordinated development of all universities in Nigeria;
To lay down Minimum Academic Standards in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and to accredit their degrees and other academic awards;
- To ensure that quality is maintained within the academic programmes of the Nigerian University System;
- To make such other investigations relating to higher education as the Commission may consider necessary in the national interest;
- To inquire into and advise the Federal Government on the financial needs, both recurrent and capital, of university education in Nigeria and, in particular, to investigate and study the financial needs of university research and to ensure that adequate provision is made for this in the universities;
- To take into account, in advising the Federal and State Governments on university finances, such grants as may be made to the Universities by the Federal and State Governments, private proprietors and by persons and institutions in and outside Nigeria;
- To undertake periodic reviews of the terms and conditions of service of personnel engaged in the universities and to make recommendations thereon to the Federal Government where appropriate;
- To recommend to the Visitor of a university that a visitation be made to such university as and when it considers it necessary;
- To act as the agency for channeling all external aid to the universities in Nigeria;
- To receive block grants from the Federal Government and allocate them to Federal Universities in accordance with such formula as may be laid down by the National Council of Ministers.
The Executive Secretary, NUC, Prof. Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, has told the delegation from the WAPCMLS that NUC shall not encourage fellowship of any professional bodies or organisation as a substitute for a PhD.
The Federal Executive Council has, last week, approved the establishment of 20 new private universities in Nigeria, bringing their total to 99 and the total number of universities in Nigeria to 193.
The ES NUC, Professor Abubakar Rasheed, last Wednesday defended the budget estimates of the commission, federal universities as well as the three Inter-University Centres (IUCs) for the 2021 appropriation year before the National Assembly Joint Education Committees of the Senate and the House.
Mr. Chris Jibreel Maiayaki has been appointed Deputy Executive Secretary (DES), Administration, by the Board of the National Universities Commission Chaired by Emeritus Professor Ayo Banjo, sequel to his nomination by the Executive Secretary, NUC, Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, mni, MFR, FNAL.
Following the recent briefing by the PTF team on COVID-19 to the effect that significant decline in the reproduction number (R-Value) for COVID-19 has been recorded in the country, the Federal Ministry of Education has accepted the request of the NUC for universities
The Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu commissioned BUK’s new world class Senate Building which was named after the 9th Vice Chancellor and current Executive Secretary, NUC, Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed.
The President, Federal Republic of Nigeria and Visitor to the University of Lagos has set up a Special Visitation Panel to look into the crisis at the University and submit a report of their recommendations within two weeks.
The Executive Secretary, NUC Professor Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, charged Nigerian universities to provide the required Leadership towards Containment of the COVID-19 global pandemic.