Mr.Boniface Chekwubechukwu Odum hails from Issele-Azagba in Aniocha North Local Government, Delta State. He obtained a Bachelor Degree of Education and a Master’s Degree in Industrial and Labour Relations (MILR) from Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Ile-Ife in 1987 and University of Ibadan in 1998 respectively.
Mr. B.C joined the services of the National Universities Commission (NUC) in 1990 and since then had a successful working career in the National Universities Commission (NUC). Mr. Odum’s working experience in the Commission cuts across different Directorates, from Management Support Services as a personnel officer, Student Support Services as head of Leadership Division and the Executive Secretary’s Office as the Deputy Director, Industrial and Labour Relations.
He was head of Secretariat for the FGN/University-based trade unions negotiations and Chief Protocol Officer to the former Executive Secretary, Professor Julius A. Okojie. He successfully coordinated the registration of the Nigerian University Pension Management Company Limited (NUPEMCO) as the desk officer. He was a member of the Governing Council, National Institute for Sport (NIS). A member, Board of Trustees of the University of Calabar Unified Pension Scheme, from 2003 – 2016.
In recognition of his commitment to duty, high sense of responsibility and unflinching loyalty, he was appointed the substantive Director, Inspection and Monitoring Directorate effective 1st January, 2019, a post he held until his appointment as Director Human Resources in August 2019.
To proactively create the conducive and enabling environment for the smooth execution of the Commissionâ€™s mandates through the strategic provision of the required administrative and human resource management support services.
To be the nerve centre for the strategic management of the commissionâ€™s human capital towards the successful accomplishments of its goals and objectives.
Mandate & Functions
Consistent with our vision and mission statements, and within the context of the overall mission of the Commission, the statutory mandates or functions of the Department are:
- Strategic Management of the commissionâ€™s human capital in terms of talent management and recruitment, compensation, benefits and rewards and records management;
- Strategic Human Resource Development in terms of training, retraining and staff development towards improving the skills and competences of the staff for improved performance;
- Provision of employee welfare services as motivational dynamics for increased staff productivity;
- Provision of general services in the area of security, mails and passages, office management etc;
- Ensuring the existence of core of disciplined staff and the creation of a friendly working environment in the commission; and
- Handling any other administrative and human resource matter that may be assigned from time to time.
Training and Development Division
Division is headed by Dr (Mrs) Esther Ogbonnaya Orji (Deputy Director)
- Training Unit (Long term)
- Executive and professional Development Unit (Short term)
The Division has the following as its statutory mandates/functions:
- Identification of skills gaps through Training Needs Analysis for various Departments in the Commission;
- Identification of relevant courses for various categories of staff for in-house and external trainings;
- Identification of relevant training institutions for resource persons and materials;
- Preparation of training proposals for Learning and skills Development activities;
- Preparation of budget proposal for Learning and Skills Development activities;
- Processing requests for long-term training courses leading to acquisition of First and Advanced Degrees;
- Implementing the Commissionâ€™s policies on staff personal matters e.g. processing of Salary, Special and Housing Advances and providing assistance during ceremonies (marriages) and bereavements;
- Management of the Health and Safety policies of the Commission as well as coordinating NHIS matters;
- Handling Long Service and Merit Awards;
- Initiating motivating and job enrichment proposals for Management consideration;
- Handling any other assignments that may be assigned from time to time by the Director.
Staff Welfare & Labour Relations Division
Division is headed by Mrs. Victoria Omorodion (Deputy Director)
- Maintenance Unit
- Security Unit
- Staff Welfare Unit
The Division is responsible for the following functions.
- Ensuring the safety of lives and property while maintaining peaceful conduct among staff and visitors within the Commission;
- Ensuring prompt processing and payment of the Commissionâ€™s utility bills for PHCNÂ and FCT Water Board;
- Despatch of relevant correspondences.
- Collection and collation of Departmental Monthly Report
- Processing and issuance of Staff/Pensioners/NYSC/IT/Visitors identity cards.
- Registration of newly purchased NUC Vehicles and those of the Federal Universities
- Provision of mail services to the Secretariat
- Receiving and responding to letters of introduction to the Commission and other correspondences and
- Supervising the activities of the Security Outfit providing security services to the Commission
Establishment Matters Division
Division is headed by Mr. Kabiru Abdullahi (Deputy Director)
- Appointments and Promotions Unit
- Compensation, Benefits and Rewards Unit
- Records Management Unit
The functions of the Division are as follows:
- Appointments and Promotions
- Performance Management/Appraisal
- Career Development & Management
- Records Management
- Interpretation of Rules and Regulations
- Handling of all issues pertaining to secondment, transfers/merger of service and leave of absence
- Provision of counselling services on career progression to staff
- Severance matters
- Processing of severance benefits
- Liaison with the National Pension Commission and relevant Pension Funds Administrators on behalf of the Commission on all matters pertaining to employees retirement benefits
- Providing secretariat services to the Commissionâ€™s Pension Board of Trustees
- Handling any other matter on Employees Pensions and Gratuity.
Discipline and Complaints Division
Division is headed by Mr. Kunle Adedeji (Deputy Director)
- Discipline Unit
- Complaints and Grievances Unit
The Discipline and Complaints Division, is saddled with the following mandates/functions:
- Receiving and processing all Complaints and Grievances/Complaints Management.
- Enhancing the good image of the Commission.
- Providing fair and consistent means of enforcing the rules and regulations of the Commission.
- Initiating disciplinary actions when rules and regulations are violated.
- Disseminating information to staff on new and changes in the rules and regulations of the Commission.
- Building and preserving a core staff that will imbibe discipline as an essential ingredient for high productivity.
- Guaranteeing a peaceful working atmosphere in the secretariat through the enforcement of discipline.