To ensure a fair, thorough and prompt evaluation of all applications towards the establishment of world-class private universities in Nigeria.
To be the Commission’s pragmatic and result-oriented structure for meticulous response to all applications for establishment of Private Universities in Nigeria.
Mandate & Functions
- To consider applications received by the Commission from individuals and organization for the establishment of private universities;
- To evaluate the applications received, review the draft strategic documents submitted and conduct Site Assessment Visits to proposed private university campuses in line with the guidelines and report on same to the Executive Secretary;
- To prepare detailed Final Recommendation Report to the NUC Management Committee for approval & licencing of a proposed private university; and
- To maintain a database on all applications for the establishment of private universities in Nigeria;
Academic Matters Division
Division is headed by Malam Aminu Abba (Deputy Director)
- Examination and analysis of the academic plans of the Proposed Private Universities as contained in the Draft Academic Brief Vol. I;
- Examination and analysis of the course structure and course synopsis of the Proposed Private Universities as contained in the Draft Academic Brief Vol. II;
- Ensuring that the contents of the Academic Brief and other academic arrangements of the Proposed Private Universities are in consonance with NUC Guidelines and Regulations;
Handling any other matter pertaining to the orderly academic growth and development of the Proposed Private Universities.
- Academic Brief Analysis Unit
- Course Structure & Synopsis Analysis Unit
Masterplan & Infrastructure Division
Division is Headed by Mr Mustapha Rasheed (Deputy Director)
- Examination and analysis of the Draft Master plan and the associated reports of the Proposed Private Universities;
- Ensuring that the contents of the Draft Master Plan and other physical campus development plans are in consonance with NUC Guidelines & regulations on physical campus development;
- Assessing the physical facilities and infrastructure on campus of the Proposed Private Universities and advice on their adequacy or otherwise;
- Handling any other campus planning matter in the processing of applications for establishment of Private Universities.
- Masterplan Analysis Unit
- physical Facilities Unit
Governance & Legal Matters Division
Acting Head of Division is Barrister (Mrs) Umma Kaltume Amu
- Examination and review of the Draft University Law of the Proposed Private Universities;
- Ensuring synchrony between the provisions of the University Law and that of the Academic Brief Vol. I on matters of Governance arrangements of the Proposed Private Universities;
- Studying and advising on the statutorily required legal documents, (Certificate of Occupancy, Certificate of Incorporation of the Proprietor, Deed of Assignment, Deed of Transfer etc) submitted by the Proposed Private Universities;
- Liaising with the Department of State Securities (DSS) on the security clearance of the Board of Trustees (BOT) members of the Proposed Private Universities;
- Interpretation and advising on the provisions of the enabling Act E3 LFN 2004 for guidance and compliance.
- University Law Analysis Unit
- University Governance Unit