The President, Federal Republic of Nigeria and Visitor to the University of Lagos has set up a Special Visitation Panel to look into the crisis at the University and submit a report of their recommendations within two weeks. The panel is to be chaired by a former Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University of Technology, Minna, Niger State, Prof. Tukur Sa’ad. Other members include a Former Deputy Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission (NUC), Barr. Victor Onuoha, a University Don, Prof. Ikenna Onyido, former Vice-Chancellor, Federal University Lafia, Nasarrawa State, Prof. Comfort Ekanem Braide, Prof Adamu K. Usman, Chief Jimoh Bankole and Barrister Grace Ekanem, who will serve as the Secretary to the Panel.
A Press Release by the Director, Press and Public Relations of the Federal Ministry of Education, Mr. Ben Bem Goong said the panel was given the following Terms of Reference:
· To review the report of the Council sub-committee on review of expenditure of the University of Lagos since May 2017 and make appropriate recommendations after affording all those indicted an opportunity to defend themselves
· To examine the steps taken by the Council leading to the removal of the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Oluwatoyin T. Ogundipe and ascertain whether due process was followed as stipulated in the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act, 2003, and the principle of fair hearing adhered to;
· To determine whether the process (if any) leading to the appointment of the Ag. Vice-Chancellor for the University was consistent with the provisions of the enabling Act;
· To make appropriate recommendations including sanctions for all those found culpable by the special visitation team on the allegations contained in the report as well as other subsequent actions arising therefrom; and
· To make any other recommendations that will assist government to take decisions that will ensure peaceful, stable and effective administration of the University.
The statement reads inter alia: “Government directs the Pro-Chancellor /Chairman of Council, Dr. B, C Babalakin and the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Oluwatoyin T. Ogundipe to recuse themselves from official duties during the period of the Visitation.
“Government also directs the Senate of the University of Lagos to immediately convene to nominate an acting Vice-Chancellor from amongst its members for confirmation by the Governing Council. He/ She shall oversee the affairs of the University pending Government’s decision (s) on the Report of the Special Visitation Panel.
“The Special Visitation Panel shall be inaugurated by the Honourable Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu at the Honourable Minister’s Conference Room on Wednesday, 26th August, 2020 at 9:00am”, the statement said.