The Department of Research and Innovation was created in February 2007 as part of the on-going reform of the National Universities Commission which in turn is being executed as part of the on-going reforms in the Federal Civil Service in Nigeria. The vision and mission statement of the Department are:
The vision of the Department of Research and Innovation is to be the catalyst for quality research and development outputs and outcomes delivery by Nigerian universities that impact positively on the socio-economic sectors of Nigeria .
The mission of the Department of Research and Innovation is to deliver desired, relevant, innovative, and quality-driven interventions in Nigerian universities in partnerships with other stakeholders to enhance the infrastructure and capacity of Nigerian universities to better execute their research and development mandates.
The Department of Research and Innovations has the following Divisions and Units:
Research Planning and Administration Division
a. Research Planning Section (RPS)
b. Analysis, Statistics and Publication Section(ASPS)
c. Research Administration Section (RAS)
d. Research Monitoring Section (RMS)
Innovation and University Industry Linkage Division
a. University-Industry Linkage Unit
b. Knowledge Acquisition Unit
c. Innovation Management Unit
Special Project Division
a. Special Project Unit
b. Collaboration Unit
BROAD FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
Coordinating and Monitoring Universities Project.
Sponsoring research in areas relevant to national development in Nigerian Universities.
Developing and monitoring research policy for the Nigerian University System (NUS) in line with national goals and needs.
Developing and implementing modalities for conducting periodic research assessment exercises in Nigerian Universities for funding purpose.
Collection and collation of timely and up-to-date data on Nigerian Universities for dissemination to the general public.
Identifying and facilitating innovations and best practices in teaching and learning in the Nigerian University System.
Fostering collaborations between government, industry, universities and other stakeholders in Higher Education.
Developing NUC capacity on innovative approaches to efficient and effective service delivery.
Develop a blue print of areas of intervention in the Nigerian University System for donor support.
Provide project management services in collaboration with donor agencies and partners for the NUC.
Coordinate national and international linkages/collaborations in higher education.
Coordinate NUS special projects on Research and Innovation.
Promoting the publication of books and journals in Nigerian Universities
RESEARCH PLANNING AND ADMINISTRATION DIVISION
Research Planning and Administration Division was created in 2011 from a merger of the former two divisions: Research Planning and Analysis (RP&A) and Research Administration and Monitoring (RAM) Divisions. The mandates of the new division are outlined as below.
- Facilitate and advise on the development of research policies for the Nigerian University System in line with National goals and needs.
- Provide policy analysis services for the NUC and Nigerian Universities.
- Publish statistical information on the NUC and Nigerian Universities.
- Advise on the format for data collection and collation from the Nigerian University system.
- Publish research activities and findings in the Nigerian University system.
- Assist in the development and update of the NUC website.
- Coordinate the funding and administration of research in the Nigerian University system.
- Coordinate and promote the sponsorship of research in Nigerian Universities in areas relevant to National development.
- Promote the publication of books and journals in the Nigerian Universities.
- Coordinate and monitor Universities research projects.
- Develop and implement modalities for conducting periodic research assessment exercise in Nigerian Universities for funding purposes.
INNOVATION AND UNIVERSITY INDUSTRY LINKAGE DIVISION
- Generate data and advice on Innovations in the Nigerian University System (NUS) for dissemination to the general public.
- Coordinate Special Award Schemes which are intended to stimulate and sustain interest in innovations and best practices in teaching, learning and administration in the Nigerian University System (NUS), examples:
- The Nigerian Universities Teaching, Innovation Award Scheme (NUTIAS)
- The Nigerian Universities Distinguished Professors Award Scheme (NUDPA)
- · Identify and facilitate Innovations and best practices in administration in Nigerian Universities, including recommendation of rewards where necessary;
- Identify Innovative approaches that will enhance National Universities Commission’s capacity for efficient and effective service delivery;
- Identify and facilitate innovations and best practices in teaching and learning in the Nigerian University System (NUS);
- Develop and advice on incentives to encourage Research and Innovation in the Universities;
- Liaise with relevant Government Agencies and other Stakeholders to promote Innovations and best practices in teaching and learning in the Nigerian University System (NUS);
- Seek, Promote and coordinate industry’s intervention and support for academic research and development in Nigerian Universities;
- Liaise and partner with the industries to promote the commercialization of research products and innovations in Nigerian Universities for national development;
- Coordinate the Nigerian Universities Research and Development Fair (NURESDEF);
- Foster and promote linkage and collaboration between Nigerian Universities and the industries;
- Identify and promote the entrenchment of global best practices on University-Industry linkages in Nigeria;
- Generate data for annual publication on the level of intervention of industries for research and development in all Nigerian Universities.
. SPECIAL PROJECTS AND COLLABORATION DIVISION
The Special Projects and Collaboration Division formerly known as Special Projects Division were created in the year 2007 following a realignment of functions in the Commission. The Division was specifically created to provide management services to the Commission’s Special Projects; facilitate academic linkages/collaborations and build capacity to monitor NUC special projects within the Nigeria University System.
SPECIAL PROJECTS AND COLLABORATION DIVISION
- Co-ordinate national and international linkages and collaborations in Higher Education.
- Initiate and facilitate collaborations with local and international donor agencies and development partners in the public and private sectors for the benefit of the Nigerian University System (NUS);
- Identify areas of need for quality assurance (QA) in the Nigerian University System for the intervention of development partners
- Provide Project Management Services on special projects in the Nigerian University System
- Identify areas of intervention for donor support for the promotion of research activities in Nigerian Universities.
ABOUT INAUGURAL LECTURE SERIES (ILS
Academic tradition all over the world demands that a newly appointed Professor delivers an inaugural lecture to be formerly admitted into that exalted position of academic excellence. An inaugural lecture provides the Professor with the opportunity to X-ray his contribution(s) to knowledge while touching on issues that are related to his area of expertise
Nigerian Universities Inaugural Lecture Series compiled by the Department of Research and Innovation of the National Universities Commission, was conceived to bring the invaluable information in them to the attention and notice of a wider audience and create awareness on the diversity of expertise and talents available in Nigerian Universities. In addition, the compilation provides a pool of valuable recommendations from which Government or interested members of the public could draw strategies for national development.
Click any of the links below to read various lectures for each year.
Back to top